LLC5: Incarceration and Decarceration
Humanities Working Group studying incarceration and pursuing decarceration, prison education, and restorative justice initiatives.
Open to New People
Active since: 2013
- Syracuse University
- University of Rochester
- Cornell University
Working in conjunction with the Cornell Prison Education Program and the Rochester Education Justice Initiative, this Working Group looks to foster a scholarly community adjacent to decarceration work and to organize events of general interest to educate the public and to connect people to decarceral organizing activities.
Associate Professor of Religion; Director, Rochester Education Justice Initiative, University of Rochester
- Patrick W. Berry, Associate Professor, Syracuse University
- Joel Burges, Associate Professor, University of Rochester
- Kristin Doughty, Associate Professor, University of Rochester
- Joshua Dubler, Associate Professor, University of Rochester
- Evelyne Leblanc-Roberge, Associate Professor, University of Rochester
- Allison Peter, Associate Professor, University of Rochester
- Rob Scott, Executive Director, Cornell Prison Education Program
- Madeline Reynolds, Postdoctoral Associate, Cornell University
Sept. 11, 2023, noon
The building of community across disciplinary and academic boundaries continues to be strong. Our presentations have brought together diverse authors and activists. We have centered the work of formerly incarcerated individuals. Some of the work, like Page's visit, led to partnerships with Freedom Commons, the housing complex connected with Center for Community Alternatives, where Page gave a second workshop.