LLC24: Small Press Reading Series
AboutThe Small Press Reading Series highlights writers working outside of the Big 5 publishers. Additionally, every reading features at least one Central New York author. By spotlighting these artists, we are supporting literature that is local, challenging, and diverse.
Open to New People
Inactive since: 2022
- Syracuse University
The LLC 24 Small Press Reading series sought to return to in-person events in 2021-2022, with an additional goal of partnering with community organizations to expand our audience.
We connected with Jacob Gedetsis from WriteOut Syracuse, a community literacy organization, to plan three events--each a reading from a small press author paired with a community writing workshop held afterward. Rather than our traditional campus venues, we organized these events for consecutive Tuesdays at the Salt City Market in Syracuse. Each event drew an audience of about 30 people, above what we typically expected for campus events (recent online readings we've done also drew about 30). We met our goals to increase attendance and connect with members of the community who will return to the events, as well as some new partners to plan the events alongside.
Non Corridor MembersJacob Gedetsis, Writing Resource Center Coordinator at SUNY ESF and WriteOut Syracuse
- Welcomed an audience of community members rather than our typical campus-only attendees.
- Included the voices and participation of younger members of our community through partnership with WriteOut.
- Collaborated with Syracuse University MFA students who led the workshops.
- Drew attention to the series in a more public way, due to the public visibility of the venue.
- Spread the word among regional writers about potential participation in later series events.