Empire’s Province Into National City: Architecture and the Dissolution of the Ottoman Empire
About This Event
Empire’s Province Into National City: Architecture and the Dissolution of the Ottoman Empire:
Convened by Esra Akcan and Peter Christensen.
- March 14:
- 6:00pm: Keynote: Heghnar Watenpaugh (UC Davis). “Islamic City, Colonial City, Refugee City: Writing Urban History in Aleppo from Empire to Nation State.”
- March 15, Conference:
- 9:00am: Welcome and Introduction. Esra Akcan and Peter Christensen
- 9:10am: Panel 1: NORTH
- Ecem Sarıçayır (Cornell University). “Discourse of Architecture and Hygiene on the Russian-Ottoman Borderlands."
- Peter Christensen (University of Rochester). “Turanism and the Ottoman Architectural Legacy in Austria-Hungary."
- H. Şükrü Ilıcak(University of Crete). “Revolutionary Athens through Ottoman Eyes. New Evidence from the Ottoman State Archives.
- 10:15am: End of Panel 1.
- 10:20am: Panel 2: SOUTH
- Mohamed Elshahed (Indepent Scholar and Curator). “Architects and Identity in Egypt and the End of Ottoman Cosmopol.
Download a printable flyer. (Zoom details available on the flyer.)